Thursday, November 3, 2011

Reflections for 11/3/11

"There are three things that are important in human life. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. The third is to be kind."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life." p. 293)

This thought is actually a quote from Henry James.  Buechner doesn't say where he got it from.  I suppose the point is obvious, the only thing that really matters in life is to be kind.

Some things I know about being kind.  It is the sixth point of the Scout Law.  As an Eagle Scout I've tried to live my life according to that law to the best of my abilities. Good thing all of it is in line with the the aspects of my faith that I value most.

I also know this that when I am kind to others, I generally feel better about myself.  Being kind can be quite overt, doing something positive for another person without any need to be thanked.  Helping others when asked.  I also know that sometimes being kind can also be by doing nothing at all.  Instead of that snide comment, or that harsh counterpoint I just swallow and breath and move on. 

I also know how much I appreciate when others are kind to me.  I'm not the best at asking for help.  And I know that I have probably been spared from being called an idiot by someone, even when it was deserved.

There's a bumper sticker that a part of reads, "practice random acts of kindness."  How much better would all of us be whether in the giving or receiving of such acts.  And how if we are the beneficiaries of someone else's kindness, somehow we should take advantage of a chance to do likewise.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment