Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Reflections for 11/9/11

"The truth that although death ended my father, it has never ended my relationship with my father-a secret that I had never so clearly understood before."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 298)

On Sunday we observed the Feast of All Saints. The actual Feast day is 11/1 but most of us realize that we won't get folks out on a weeknight so we move it to the next Sunday.

In my homily I asked people to consider who was a person in their life who while not famous in the world had made an incredible impact on their lives.  And invited them to consider these folks as saints also.

I know that I don't see my grandfather anymore he died almost ten years ago, and yet his relationship to me and his influence on many things that I do or believe is just as alive today as they were when he was alive here on earth.

And I know that this is probably true for most folks, that our relationships with others are always there even if communication of any kind may not be real anymore.

There are of course also folks who leave negative impacts on us and even there death doesn't totally bring closure.  I wouldn't call these folks saints by the way.

The truth is that every relationship or encounter leaves some imprint on us. Some are clearly deeper than others.  And as long as we live in this world and relate to other people we will continue to grow from these relationships.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment