Saturday, January 21, 2012

Reflections for 1/21/12

"In the west Christians tended to meet their ancestors through the worship space, liturgy, and calendar of the church."(Speaking to the Soul  Vicki K. Black, p.17)

All of our lives have history.  We have our own personal story and we have those of our ancestors.  We also have "heroes" within our lives. They can be religious, sports, vocational and familial.

There are also places we go to that give significance to who we are and whence we come.  For me I have specific places that have deep meaning for me.  They have memories, and associations that still feed my soul.  Haddonfield and Ocean City New Jersey are two places.  Copake Falls NY is becoming such a place.  I rediscovered how important Grinnell Iowa is to me. 

I certainly feel a deep connection to my faith past anytime I'm in church.  I'm not wedded to any specific building or building type, but there is definitely a liturgical practice and hymnody that speaks to me.

What are the places in your life that are important to you?  What are the "liturgies" of your life, whether church or not, that connect you to something beyond yourself?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment