Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reflections for 1/24/12

One of the hazards of being a clergy person is that you might get called on the spot to say a prayer, offer a blessing, invocation etc.  I know it is in the job description and I really don't have a problem with it and generally have not been taken to task for any prayers I've ever offered.

It has happened to me twice where someone has taken umbrage with how I prayed.  The first time came when I was accosted after offering an opening prayer at the beginning of town soccer season.  A fellow Christian decided that since I didn't pray in Jesus' name I was clearly ashamed of him and I should never be ashamed of our Lord.  Of course I'm not ashamed, and tried to point out that we should be thankful I was asked to pray at all in this day and age. 

But I heard some of what she said and tried to adapt by ending my more public with prayers with "in Jesus name I pray."  And that seemed fine until last night.  This time I was asked on the spot not given any advance notice. The usual "chaplain" had not shown up to the meeting, would I mind?  Sure why not.  After offering the invocation and the benediction at the end, up came the parliamentarian to tell me I had violated the rules and that I was only allowed to offer non-sectarian prayers. 

I replied that I didn't feel I could do that, and in the future I would just decline the invitation.  It did however get me thinking, what in the world makes something a non-sectarian prayer?  I sort of know the answer you don't invoke specific deities.  But I do wonder if I'm there in clericals how am I not clearly a sectarian.  Would a doctor be asked to not use medical terminology, or a lawyer legal terms when speaking?  Probably not.  I also wondered if it was only Christians that aren't allowed to pray in their tradition these days.  I honestly haven't seen a rabbi or imman or other faith leader ever asked so I don't know if they take the sect out of their prayers.  And this doesn't even begin to address how an atheist might receive any kind of prayer.

I know this actually isn't a huge issue. No hungry people will be fed, or oppressed people set free over it. But for the moment it was a total distraction.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment