Thursday, January 26, 2012

Reflections for 1/26/12

"When we move beyond the safety of everyone else's approval and stand firmly upon our own, we assume responsibility for own own apostolate."(Speaking to the Soul Vicki K. Black p. 21)

I am certain that one of my flaws is that I am a people pleaser.  An apple polisher as a youth.  While I have tried to become firmer in my resolve to do what I believe to be right, I often fall prey to the fear that someone might get upset.  And of course the reality is that no matter what we do, someone is going to be upset.

When we are able to stand on our own, without seeking the approval of others, we may in fact find that the very thing we actually receive, because we didn't make that the end, is in fact approval.  When folks can look at us as someone who is consistent in where they stand, and yet not in a way that makes them rigid and heartless, we move closer to being the real person that we are called to be. 

As a Christian I am called to the service of others, but not so that they'll applaud me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment