Monday, April 14, 2014

Reflection for April 14, 2014

"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it."(Psalm 34:14)

I sometimes feel like I'm a person constantly on the go.  I wouldn't quite say I'm a "man of action," but I like to be doing things.

I noticed in this verse from Psalm 34, that there are four actions called for: depart, do, seek and pursue. 

Depart, to leave get away from.  Usually we depart from some place positive as we head out.  But it is certainly possible that we may be in a bad place and need to get away quickly, whether the danger is physical or spiritual.  If something is truly evil I'd want to get as far away from it as possible.

Do, involve oneself in activities that are beneficial to oneself, physically and spiritually.  Activities that call forth the best in us and may even help someone else.

Seek, to keep my eyes open, to find a place of wholeness. Not necessarily where conflict doesn't exist but where the possibility of remaining centered does.  And when we notice where that place is, or see it getting away to pursue it, to chase after it, until we've caught up to it.

Sounds tiring in some ways. Yet in many ways the effort will be worth it.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment