Friday, April 25, 2014

Reflections for April 25, 2014

"But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law for they are unprofitable and worthless."(Titus 3:9)

I rarely engage in arguments with people.  I'm not a great debater.  Most of the time I find these things to be a colossal waste of time and energy.  Rarely have I found my mind changed or me changing any one's mind. Rarely have I seen these things end well.

Part of the problem is that they usually devolve quickly into personal attacks and defensive counters.  I'd rather spend my time listening to how life is going for folks.

The problem of course may be defining what makes something a stupid controversy?  Like I said most controversies for me are stupid. Yet for someone else they can be incredibly important on a very personal level and to dismiss them out of hand does not help.

I suppose the best thing to do is try to find out why something is so important to the person making the claim.  What's in it for them?  Why is there so much personal investment?  Without that information it isn't worth my time to engage.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment