Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Reflection for April 9, 2014

"Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning."(Psalm 30: 5)

They say never go to bed angry, but I've never heard anyone say not to go to bed sad.  When I've had a day that has brought some disappointment I find that even trying to go to sleep is not easy.  I haven't cried myself to sleep in a very long time, but I have tossed and turned all night, replaying events in my head, trying to think what to do next, looking to change the outcome.

The reality is that all I've done is managed to get no sleep, and thus will be exhausted the next day and no better off for it.

When I have trouble shutting down for the night, I find a breathing exercise that I was taught by Richard Rohr to be helpful.  While breathing in I say "Yah" and breathing out I say "weh."  In doing so I place all of my thoughts and concerns with God, I push aside from my immediate thought those things that are making me want to weep all night.

I have found that joy comes in the morning, not so much because things were righted overnight, but because I've slept and am ready to see the day ahead as the gift that it is.  That the disappointments of the immediate past do not have to rule today.  But the joy of a new start and a fresh outlook might come with the sun, and that cup of coffee.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment