Monday, April 7, 2014

Reflection for April 7, 2014

"Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what it fears, or be in dread."(Isaiah 8:12)

Thanks to the world of cable news and blogs I've noticed a lot of wild talk.  People seemingly getting agitated because they've heard something, or read something.  Conspiracies are certainly not new, but we seem to have more access to them, and seem more susceptible or gullible than ever.

We assume that when someone writes something or says something that they've checked the facts and that their motives are pure.  Funny thing is that facts are rarely checked.  To quote a recent sketch from the Daily Show, "these are facts based on opinions."

I guess for me the litmus test on something that is said or written is what is hoping to stir in me.  If it is paranoia or fear or dread, then I don't have the time.  If it is asking me to think, to love or to be brave then I might take it  more seriously.

Most of what is "news" these days are nothing more than opinions looking for an audience.  And when we choose to just uncritically accept everything, we may as well go hide.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment