Friday, May 2, 2014

Reflection for

"You need milk, not solid food."(Hebrews 5: 12)

Most of us started our life here on earth drinking milk, usually provided by our mother.  If we are fortunate enough to not have allergic reactions to dairy milk products stay with us as important parts of our diet. Dairy provides us with calcium for strong bones and teeth, helping us to enjoy other foods and life in general.

For me the milk of theology if you will is summarized in that classic Children's hymn, "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so.". We've all sung of it, and perhaps taught it to others.  It is the most basic statement of Christian belief out there, and the foundational one in many ways.

Without that basic knowledge most of the other parts of faith make no sense and are pointless.  Dry cereal is not a great breakfast, milk helps me enjoy it more.  The same can be said for other parts of my faith, I appreciate them more thanks to that "milk."

While I like cookies a lot, how much more do I enjoy them with a cold glass of milk.  The sweet things in life are made sweeter by that "milk."

I could go on, but I think you get the point.  Solid food is great, but I enjoy much of it because of the presence of milk.  A deeper more mature understanding and living out of my faith is great, but it falls apart if I lose sight and taste for the "milk."

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment