Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Reflection for May 7, 2014

"For Christ will appear a second time, not to deal with sin, but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."(Hebrews 9:28)

Showing up it has been said is a huge part of living.  Right now I'm traveling up the Hudson river on an Amtrak.  I will be showing up to spend time with my parents and to attend the Alumni Days at my Seminary the Episcopal Divinity School.  This will not be the first time I've taken such a trip, nor will it be the last I hope. 

Making return trips to places can be pleasurable, especially if you are going to see people who are looking forward to seeing you and visiting places that are important to who you are as a person. Of course trips can also be to go deal with something or someone that you'd rather be anywhere else.

We proclaim as regularly that Christ will come again.  I think it is interesting that while it can be seen as a final judgment, this passage that I quoted makes it seem more like a joyful and longed for reunion.  Jesus not coming to deal with us, but to be with us and to take us with him on an incredible journey.  I continue to look forward to that trip.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment