Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Reflection for May 13, 2014

"Let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger."(James 1:19)

When we elected our previous Bishop, George Councell, I asked a question of all the candidates, "what body part do you lead with and give an example."  All of the candidates had an answer, though none gave the one I had in mind, which was the ears.

I wanted a Bishop whose first inclination was to listen.  Listening is very hard to do. When I truly want to understand something I need to listen.  This is a tough thing for an extrovert like me to do. Not only to make listening the first action but to be slow to speak.  To not say the first thing that comes into my mind.

When we are in a conversation slowing down before speaking helps to slow us down from getting angry.  I've started by listening and thought carefully about how to respond.

When anger comes on rapidly it is usually because I'm shooting off at the mouth and not doing a whole lot of listening. 

I also have found that it is easier to listen to some one who doesn't start off at a place of anger.

Hard steps no doubt.  But if followed better results might occur.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment