Saturday, May 3, 2014

Reflecton for 5/3/2014

"You thought that I was one just like yourself"(Psalm 50:21)

Who are you often told you are like?  I am told my dad all the time for obvious reasons.  And in many ways I am like him.  I don't know if anyone has told him he reminds them of me. I am also like my mother. 

None of us of course is a perfect copy of anyone. We are all a mixture of the people who have influenced us. And hopefully we've created a unique entity.  Of course we may also choose not to reflect at all those who have influenced us.

We of course are also influential on others.  We can be a positive influence or one that nobody would wish to be.  What we aren't invited to do is project ourselves onto them, neither our positive attributes or are negative ones.

And if this is true in our human relationships how much more so in our relationship with God.

The funny thing is that I have found that how people view God and what they think God is like is often seen quite clearly in how they treat others.  That is unfortunate, because none of us really knows fully what God is like, we can only speak of our experience of God.  We can see through Jesus what God is like, but we aren't always doing a good job of imitating him.

We are called to be made in the image of God.  We are not invited to make God in our image.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment