Monday, December 15, 2014

Reflection for December 15, 2014

"They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers."(Acts 2:42)

One of the parts of the baptismal covenant in the Episcopal Church is to continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of the bread and in the prayers.  And all in attendance are supposed to say they will with God's help.

When I hear those words I first sense and invitation to be in community.  I've enjoyed being in fellowship with those who share a commitment to Jesus Christ and the teachings of the church.  I have friends for whom that is not their community as well for the record.  So for me that is how I continue in the Apostles' teaching and fellowship.

The breaking of the bread is for me that invitation to receive communion regularly. For me that means at least weekly.  It can also point towards fellowship around meal times.  I don't really like to eat alone.

Continuing in the prayers for me is again establishing a regular habit of daily prayer.  That tends to be Morning Prayer, but it could be at any time, and also reminds me to hold those in my community in my prayers as well.

While I'm not perfect in keeping all of these 24/7, I do try.  And when I'm faithful to them, I know it is truly with God's help.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment