Thursday, December 4, 2014

Reflection for December 4, 2014

"Peace I leave with you; my  peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid."(John 14:27)

This is that time of the year, when everyone and everything seems to be in overdrive.  When you add to that manic activity, all of the crazy things that are going on in our world, things beyond our control and yet still affect us, a need for peace seems very real.

That notion of peace being left with us, a gift to be used by us when we need it.  Always there at our disposal if we could just remember.  We've already got it.  It is harder to remember because it isn't a material thing, much as the world would give us.  It is not something that is given wanting something from us in exchange.  The peace of and the from the Lord is just there.

And the times that I find it the most helpful to remember that I already have it is when my heart is troubled and when I am feeling afraid.  Troubled by the injustices I perceive and troubled by all the things that I have to do each and every day, and whether I will be able to accomplish them.  Afraid of the violent actions and reactions to events that seem to just keep boiling over non-stop and wondering if and when they will impact me beyond the media.

But in calling forth that peace, I know I can let my heart do what it needs to do, I can let my mind focus on the positive and let my strength be used to change those things within myself and within my world that I can.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment