Monday, December 8, 2014

Reflection for December 8, 2014

"I say, 'You are gods, children of the Most High, all of you.'"(Psalm 82:6)

One time while chaperoning an overnight school trip, I had to keep telling certain people to knock it off.  Eventually one of these young men declared "oh my God." when he thought he'd had enough of me.  My response was "today I am your god."

In many ways we are all small g "gods."  We have been given specific gifts to be agents of compassion and love towards others.  We have the capabilities to do amazing things, and each generation seems to build on and sometimes out do the knowledge and power of previous generations.

But much like Peter Parker was told in the original Spider Man movie, "with great power comes great responsibility," so it is with us small g "gods."

We are not immortal, omnipotent, or omniscient.  Heck we aren't even all loving.  But we are invited to share in the divine life as God's children with all the privileges and responsibilities that come with it.  Maybe you don't want to be seen as a god.  Feels egotistical to think someone may worship you.  But I hope that in those god moments that I'm able to live up to the billing.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment