Saturday, December 6, 2014

Reflection for December 5, 2014

"Now the Lord came and stood there, calling as before, 'Samuel! Samuel!' And Samuel said, 'Speak, for your servant is listening.'"(1 Samuel 3:10)

Listening. How incredibly important and how hard.  We live in a culture where talking is seen as more valuable and only if I'm the one doing it.  Think about any current event and immediately you'll notice that everyone has an immediate, must share opinion.  Perhaps folks do take the time to listen first then talk, but I don't witness that happening.

But how can you truly begin to see how things are, or consider other alternatives, or understand God's will in your life, if all you do is talk.  It may be that listening is scary.  We might hear things that make us uncomfortable.  We'll spend more time talking our defense of the situation rather than actually listening to what is being said.

I do find that I have much more profound things to say, when I've listened first.  And sometimes the most profound thing might be to not say anything at all.  Just because my mouth isn't running, doesn't mean that I no longer exist.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment