Monday, December 29, 2014

Reflection for December 29, 2014

"Friends, why are you doing this? We are mortals just like you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made the heaven and the earth, and the sea and all that is in them."(Acts 14:16)

We all know about cases of mistaken identity.  They can be positive, but more often than not they are negative.  They can involve sweeping generalizations.  We can also have ascribed to us powers that we do not have.  "You're a priest, pray that it doesn't rain."

I'm actually not holier than anyone else, but I can try to show what striving to be holy might look like.  I'm not a better prayer than anyone else, but I can show people how to pray.

Ultimately I'm another human being who does some things well and other things not so well.  I can try to live my life as an example for others, but I can't live their lives for them.  I can share my faith journey and talk about why my faith is important to me, but I can't guarantee a conversion.

I can offer advice to folks who ask for it, I can point in a different direction, give other possibilities, but ultimately we each much choose for ourselves what path we will take.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment