Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Reflection for 3/26/14

"Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own, but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead."(Philippians 3:12)

If you have ever seen the movie the Lion King you may recall the great scene where Simba gets hit over the head by the baboon character.  Simba asks why he did it and the baboon replies "it doesn't matter it is in the past.  And from that point Simba starts to make his return and move forward into the future as the rightful king.

The past is always lurking in the back recesses of my mind I find.  The recent trend on Facebook is something called TBT (Throw back Thursday).  You get to post some picture from a previous chapter in your life.  I play the game regularly, mainly because I find it harmless.  I don't really long for the good old days. Frankly I could find enough problems with the previous chapters of my life to know that going back in time wouldn't be worth it.  So when I do reflect on the past, I choose to remember the happier moments, warm the heart a little, but not stay there too long.

When we spend time constantly remembering and at worst romanticizing the past we really are avoiding the present and perhaps even scared of the future.

I can't say that I'm always content in the present, but I've learned to deal with it so I don't get stuck.  I have no idea what the future holds but I wake up each day ready to face it and perhaps even embrace it.  And sometimes even that can be straining forward.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment