Thursday, March 13, 2014

Reflections for 3/13/14

"I wish I were present with you now and could change my tone, for I am perplexed about you."(Galatians 4:20)

We live in a time of rapid communication.  If I needed to get a message to you I have many options, I can text, I can email you, I can send you a message on Facebook,  I can even see your face when we talk if we Skype.  I can even resort to such antiquated technology as a phone.

Before all of this technology the mode of communication was of course writing.  Had been for centuries.  We don't do much writing of letters anymore.  That takes time and of course our words lack tone and can be misinterpreted and we might have to wait a long time for a response.

That is true, but of course one thing that writing does is create some space for us to get the emotion out of the way before we send it.  I know that the same is true for some of our modern technology but because it moves so rapidly we sometimes forget to pause and pray before we hit send.

What none of these modes of communication can ever replace however is being physically present with the person.  Most of the repairing of relationship can only take place face to face.  Paul knew this, which is why he wished to be present with them, to talk it out, to be able to explain his feelings about the situation and to be able to hear their point of view as well.

But doing that face to face is very risky.  It always has the danger of escalating fast.  There is no where to hide, no actual distance, you can't hang up.

What I do know is that when I'm perplexed by others and need to talk with them, one of the first things I need to remember to do is to slow down and pray.  When I do that I might have a better conversation overall.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment