Monday, July 11, 2011

Reflections for 7/11/11

"One agile Lyman Woodard stood on his head in the belfry with his fee toward heaven. That's the one and only thing I've been able to find out about Lyman Woodard, whoever he hwas, but it is enough. I love him for doing what he did. It was a crazy thing to do. It was a risky thing to do. It ran counter to all standards orf new England practicality and prudence. It stood the whole idea that you're supposed to be nothing but solemn in church on its head just like Lyman himself standing upside down on his. And it was also a magical and magnifticent and Mozartian thing to do." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" pp. 180-181)

Sometimes I wonder if I've actually lived life fully.  I'm hard pressed to recall a single time I've done anything outlandish, playfully foolish or risky.  If anythng I'm at least consistent.

I certainly appreciate that perhaps Mr. Woodward was so overcome by joy that he couldn't help himself.  I certainly have witnessed people do fun and silly things, just because they felt like it.

And while doing crazy things may not be the norm, I'm sure someone could recall a moment where I did something outside of normal Ed behavior.  I mean that in a positive way.  Not something that people would shake their heads and be disappointed to hear that I had done, but something that made them laugh or say wow who would have thought he'd do something like that, and smile as they said it.

Have you ever done something outside of the predictable you.  Something outlandish born from a place of great joy.  You probably have.  But if it was way outside of the predictable you, its been suppressed.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment