Sunday, July 31, 2011

Reflections for 7/31/11

"True humility doesn't consist of thinking ill of yourself but of not thinking of yourself much differently from the way you'd be apt to think of anybody else. It is the capacity for being no more and no less pleased when you play your own hand well than when your opponents do."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 197)

I'd like to see myself as a humble person.  At least in the way that Buechner describes it above.  I have a feeling I'm more likely to down play anything I do well while always praising others.  That isn't actually humility, it's more about attitude towards myself and a negative one at that.

True humility would have to actually admit that there are things that I do well.  True humility would also not be measuring myself against the performance of others but merely appreciating how they do things well too.

What I see is that true humility really lies in being able to  live fully into Jesus' second greatest commandment, "love your neighbor as yourself."

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment