Friday, July 8, 2011

Reflections for 7/8/11

"Like sheep we get hungry, and hungry for more than just food. We get thirsty for more than just drink. Our souls get hungry and thirsty; in fact is is often that sense of inner emptiness that makes us know we have souls in the first place."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 178)

I once knew a dairy farmer up in the town my parents now reside in.  He said "sheep are dumb, cows are neat." Granted he may have been biased, but he does seem to be on to something.  Part of me gets a little tense with the biblical imagery being a sheep, especially if they really are dumb.  I'd much rather be neat.

I do understand and relate though to the image of sheep that seem to go their own way.  I can have a serious independent streak within. Something that always seems to long for something that I don't have, yet cannot name.  It makes me restless, bored sometimes.  And when those moments take over, I find that things that usually are fulfilling stop happening. Take writing this blog.  It's been a week since I last wrote I think. It hasn't been that I've had too much to do.  I just couldn't find the motivation.

And yet today, something made me want to write.  Maybe it is just the impending vacation. Maybe its the weather. Maybe it feels like this is an important part of my vocation and I need to get back on track.

Or maybe I just heard the shepherds voice saying Ed.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment