Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reflections for 7/30/11

"Which of us can look back on our own lives without seeing in them the role of blind chance and dumb luck? But faith, says the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews is 'the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.'"(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.196)

One of the more stressful aspects of just about every vacation I take, is financial.  How far can we make the money we have to spend go?  I'll readily admit that this last trip especially towards the end was one where I really thought we would be getting close to not having any money left. 

But two weird things occurred.  We arrived in one town and the hotel had bumped us.  The silver lining the parent company paid for our other hotel.  And also approaching an unforeseen toll and not thinking I had any cash only to stop panicking and find enough in my pocket.

Dumb luck, blind chance? Maybe, but I chose as a person of faith to see it as a grace filled moment.  The one that reminded me that all I needed to do was trust. 

I'm sure there are other instances that might also qualify as blind chance or dumb luck.  They just as easily can be seen as grace filled moments.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment