Friday, November 1, 2013

Reflection for 11/1/2013

It has been a while since I reflected, in writing that is, and All Saints Day seemed like a good point to start up again.  I don't know why just does.

All Saints is of course the day when the church celebrates All the Saints.  Many of course get their own day some other time in the year.  It is also true that we recognize the reality that the saints of God are just folk like me, and I mean to be one too, to quote a song.

When I think about "saints" in my life quite a few people come to mind.  None of them by the way will ever have their own day set aside for observance. The heroes of my faith impacted me directly not through a book, but by their relationship to me.  There is some tradition in Latin America of naming people and saying presente, usually because these folks are present in a way that the communion of saints is.  All of mine are still around and I'd like to take the time to name them, remember their meaning for me, and to give thanks for their imprint in my life.

My mom and dad of course. My sister Laura.  My wife Gail. My sons Mike and Peter.  My grandparents, Aunts and Uncles and a special Great Aunt.

George Janke, my third grade Sunday School teacher.  Dave Deihl the choir director at my home church. Don Barnicle and Phil Carr-Jones.  Miss Stepperud my all time favorite teacher.  Mr. Logue, band director at my High School. Fr. Bob Towner my priest in college. Professor Don Smith and Dennis Haas and Coach Pfitsch at Grinnell.  Owen Thomas, Fredrica-Harris Thompsett, Lloyd Patterson, David Siegenthaler, Ivan Kaufman, Carter Heyward, Sue Hiatt, Ian Douglass and John Hooker, teachers at EDS.  The Rt. Rev. Mary Glasspool, my priest in Seminary. The Rev. Carol Burnside mentor and friend.  The Rev. Michael Barlowe, The Rt Rev. Joe Morris Doss, Canon Allen Bollinger and the Rt. Rev George Councell.  I'm sure I've missed some and in the years to come will no doubt add others.

So who are your "saints?"  Have you taken the time to thank them if they are still around or give thanks for them if they've joined that great cloud of witnesses.

Blessings,
Ed+

No comments:

Post a Comment