Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Reflection for 11/12/13

"God I thank you that I am not like other people thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.  I fast twice a week, I give a tenth of all my income."(Luke 18:11-12)

Have you ever met someone who seems to be full of themselves.  Every conversation is about them.  They are often comparing themselves with others and talking about the great things that they do.  It can get boring fast.

While I may not talk much about myself, I can fall into the trap of compare and contrast.  Unlike the Pharisee I'm not thankful that I'm not like other people.  Instead I go the other extreme, wishing that I could be that other person.  I know it is a ridiculous waste of spiritual energy, but there are those times when I wish I was someone other than who I am.

I also try to avoid boasting about what I do. Not only to God, who I firmly believe is well aware of what I do and what I don't do.  I certainly hope God is pleased more times than not, but I don't think I need to tell him what I've accomplished.

I don't know why it sometimes feels necessary to go through these spiritual gymnastics.  Self awareness is fine, comparing myself to others in the hope that God might notice me, ridiculous.  Should I fast, tithe or do other spiritual acts to bring me deeper in my relationship with God, absolutely.  But in doing so, I am not to hold myself over and above anyone else.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment