Sunday, November 10, 2013

Reflections 11/10/2013

Have you ever had someone say to you, "I have a dumb question."  I actually get this line from time to time.  My answer is usually "the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked."  Upon further reflection I think there is another dumb question, the one where no answer is actually being sought.

The Gospel lesson from this morning to me was the ultimate in dumb question. The Sadducee's don't believe in the resurrection so for me it is just an attempted goading.  And Jesus as usual finds a way to answer so that the goading goes no further.

The funny thing for me is that I've had a similar question asked of me.  By my grandmother of all people.  Now she certainly believed in the resurrection but she also knew she had been married twice.  In heaven who would she be with.  My answer to her said a lot about what I believe about resurrection and heaven.

I told her that she would be with who ever she wanted to be with.  That for me heaven is being surrounded by those who were important to you, and in a room where everything that brought you joy in life is present. I didn't ask her who she would choose.  Mainly because both of her husbands were my grandfather at different points in my life. I'm sure that the promises of Jesus are true that there is a place prepared for her, me and you.

Heaven for me isn't about encountering everybody that ever lived.  I don't think I get out of my room at all, but in that room will be those that mattered to me, and yes my grandmother will be there.

I love what the Book of Common Prayer says, "a joyful reunion with those we love."

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment