Thursday, November 21, 2013

Reflection for 11/21/2013

"Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding."(John 2:2)

I've probably officiated at more weddings than I've actually been invited to.  I remember the first wedding I ever went to, when my father's mother married my mother's father.  Seemed pretty cool, is now just a great tongue and mind twister.  I didn't get a new grandparent or any new cousins, though all my cousins got both.

I went to a friend from my summer hangout in Copake Falls wedding, first time I went to one that wasn't a relative.  I've been to the weddings of a couple of college classmates, those were fun because I got to be with friends.

I've been to other relatives weddings, sister, cousins and of course I was at my own.

I've only been a best man once.

As wrote up top, I've officiated at plenty of weddings in my 20 years of ministry.  Some I remember fondly others I barely recall.  This past weekend I got to assist at the wedding of one of my parishioners at his wife's church.  It was a blessing to be a part of that joyful celebration.

I love that in the Christian marriage ceremony we remind ourselves that Christ went to weddings and was able to celebrate with couples.  Each time there's a wedding where a clergy person is officiating Christ is invited and I believe shows up.  The real plan should be to invite him not only on that day but to be an important part of one's marriage each day.  It doesn't always mean life long marriages but it certainly can. 

Was he invited to yours?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment