Friday, November 8, 2013

Reflection for 11/8/2013

"Now his elder son was in the field; and when he came and approached the house, he heard music and dancing."(Luke 15:25)

I am the oldest of two children.  And I'll have to admit that there is something about that placement in the family that makes ones world view slightly different.  I'm not claiming that I'm unloved or anything like that.  I just know that my sister got to see where the land mines were.  She also was far more adventurous than I ever was.  I'm a bit of a loyalist, and perhaps not always in a healthy way.

When I hear the story of "The Prodigal Son" or as it really should be called the story of the "Merciful Father" I seem to get focused on that older son.  I'm not the runaway, the spendthrift and I've always been here.

I do get jealous of folks who seem to be having fun, while I'm not.  I keep forgetting that I've made the choice how to live my life and yet am still loved. And that is the part the eldest son forgot.

His part of the inheritance was still in tact. Nothing had been taken away from him.  He needed not to focus so much on what others got and instead see how much he really had.

Blessings,
Ed


No comments:

Post a Comment