Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Reflection for July 15, 2014

"I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter."(Matthew 12:36)

If you are a normal human being, you have probably more than once said something that you later regretted.  An offhanded comment, a word spoken in the heat of the moment. You've said something to a person you love dearly that hurt them greatly and the relationship was never the same.

Those sort of careless words we know all too well.  Yet we sometimes miss how often in our culture of instant communication and social media how we also continue a trend of careless words.  Sharing things that are not truly reflective of who we are.  Or even worse show folks who we really are.

I don't know what I'll do when I have to give an account for every careless word I've ever uttered.  I can't even recall most of them.  But before I get to a place where that accounting could take a really long time, I might want to consider my words, the flipness that sometimes catches me in the moment. And decide what do I really want to be remembered for.  And what can I be unashamed for having said.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment