Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Reflections for July 29, 2014

"Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour."(Matthew 24:44)

We are switching our internet provider this week.  I am told that the tech should arrive between 1 and 3 pm.  So I'll need to be ready for that arrival.  That's not a huge window of arrival time, I was told once that I could expect the technician between 9 am and 9 pm. That of course tied up the day.

There is always a level of expectancy in life.  I also remember waiting for the birth of my son Michael.  He was supposed to show up late September but he delayed his arrival a couple of weeks.  It is hard to keep doing other things while you're waiting for something you need or long for. 

While I may like company, I'm not big on drop in guests, usually because I haven't had a chance to clean.  And like many people I go into overdrive when an expected arrival is the next day, want to look prepared.  Wonder how much easier it would be if I was always ready.

The same is true for the second coming of Christ.  We are told to be ready but we are not told when.  Yes there are people out there claiming to know and they are never right because they ignore the clear message of scripture, you don't get to know.  I suppose we are kept in ignorance to the exact date so that we are compelled to do the things we should be doing, because if we knew the date we might get busy closer to that time.

I don't spend time worrying about when Christ will come again, I believe it will happen some time.  In my life time, maybe, maybe not.  But I do know that the challenge is to be doing the things my faith tells me to do, so that if it should be today, I'm ready.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment