Saturday, July 19, 2014

Reflection for July 19, 2014

"He said to them, 'but who do you say that I am?'"(Matthew 16:16)
.
One of my ministries in the Diocese is serving on the Committee on the Priesthood.  This group interviews people who are discerning a call to the priesthood and makes recommendations to the Bishop on these people at various stages of their journey.  A question that I've become infamous for asking is "Who do you say Jesus is?"

The question feels like a trap, but it actually isn't.  I don't have a particular answer that I am looking for, but I would like to hear some kind of answer.  I think it is important for future and current priests to have an answer to that question.

Actually it is important for anyone who claims to follow Jesus.  Who is he for you?  What does that statement mean to you?   How does it impact your life?

I think the question could also be asked of us individually, who do we say that we are?  What do others say about us?  And which is really the truth?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment