Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Reflections for July 30, 2014

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was  naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."(Matthew 25:35-36)

The Episcopal Church has an ongoing program called the Millenium Development Goals.  It is in partnership with the UN goals and it does address many of the things Jesus said were what we should be doing.

While I am generally for the goals and actually would say that these verses are almost a personal mission statement for me, I wish we would call them the Matthew 25 goals.  Let the UN have its program and let the church name it with something that claims its source.

I also love how the folks who are doing these things wonder when was it they served Jesus who said you did it to me.  And of course Jesus saying this is who you are to help, everyone who needs it, no exceptions.

To those who claim that they would have done it if they were serving Jesus himself, he clearly says wrong.  You don't get to choose who is worthy of food, drink clothes, proper medical care and compassion.

In my ministry I look for those opportunities and have in fact even visited folks in prison.  And I do these things because that is where my faith in Jesus Christ leads me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment