Monday, April 12, 2010

Reflections 4/12/10

"We love what you have given. Help us to recognize, Holy One, and to rejoice in what is given, even in the midst of what is not given. Help us not to doubt, Lord, what you have given us, even when we feel our shortcomings." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 155)

As I read this prayer from Fr. Rohr, I began to see very clearly the real difference between pessimism and optimism, from the glass half full to the glass half empty approach to life.

Each day I can choose to see and benefit from what I have, or to sit back look at what others seemingly have and feel inadequate. While I don't own a house, I do have a place to live. While I don't eat name brand food all the time, I am not going hungry at anytime. While there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room in my household budget, I am still able to pay the bills, and enjoy vacations.

I can also choose to recognize the gifts and talents I have as a husband, dad and priest, or I can choose to focus in on the ways I'm not perfect. And of course the more productive use of my time would be to acknowledge that there are shortcomings, but learn to live with some of them, unless they are really causing havoc in my life.

What helps me to take a more optimistic view point, is the central belief that I am in fact, loved and lovable. By God, by others, and on most days by self.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment