Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Reflections for 4/21/10

"There is going to be an experience of condemnation in your life, an experience of judgment, an experience of betrayal There's going to be a time where you'll finally have to do his will, not your own. When you try to do it, you're going to fall at least three times. Probably a lot more than that. But God is going to give you people like Simon of Cyrene, Veronica, Mary and the weeping daughters of Jerusalem. God is going to give you friends who will support you. That's process theology. It's not the static theology some of us unfortunately grew up with, the game of: mortal sin, I'm out; go to confession, I'm in. Push-button theology is very different from healthy, rich [faith]." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 163)

For me faith has always been much more about a journey than a series of right/wrong dualism. What has always spoke to me in the Judeo-Christian tradition, is the real human experiences that the bible addresses. And sense of connection because while the specifics may not be exact the overall experience of the human condition is.

Stations of the Cross, was not a part of my tradition growing up. The first Stations service that I went to was at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC where each chapel was a station and everyone took a turn carrying a very large cross.

While not every part of the stations is biblical, the traditions that arose out of the biblical witness do add to the walking the way of the cross.

As a person of faith it is true that I have probably at some point experienced being condemned, judged and betrayed. Fortunately not a regular occurrence, but when you are not isolated from others, it will be very hard to avoid these experiences throughout one's life. I do know that there are times when I have to let go of my need to be in control of everything even, if the experience will not lead to success. Journeying in faith will have times of failure and faltering or it is no journey.

What has always been my experience is that God has provided folks along the way, who have aided me, advised me, and pointed me back on the right path. I thank God for those people, even the one's whose names I can no longer remember.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment