Saturday, April 3, 2010

Reflections for 4/3/10

"To be a Christian means to be an optimist because we know what happened on the third day. We know that it worked, that Jesus leap of faith was not in vain. His trust was not in vain and that the Father raised him up." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 145)

I generally am a glass half full if not completely full person. I have a firm belief that most things work themselves out. And often try to see how the journey plays out. Sometimes a lack of a clear plan is very unnerving to my "J" oriented friends and family, who like minutiae covered.

I'll have to say that I'm usually affirmed in my not overly controlling ways, when things work out positively if not always as I originally pictured it.

My hunch is the disciples had a hard time being optimistic once Jesus was laid in the tomb. Very hard for them to see how this would work out, even though they'd been given hints if they'd paid attention.

Optimism is very much in shortage right now. I hear more pessimism, fear, anger and frustration, than I do a patient hope.

What would happen if everyone actually pictured the glass at least half full. That would mean that you frame the vision differently. It doesn't indicate perfection, but it does mean you might have to enjoy the ride a little more.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment