Monday, April 19, 2010

Reflections for 4/19/10

"All spiritual reality, all grace is mediated to us through this world, through history, through concrete objects, things, moments, events, persons."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 161)

What exactly is my spirituality? That's a good question. I know that it is nourished by worship with other Christians. I tend to it by trying to say morning prayer each day. There are also quiet moments when I can take in the world around me and sense the presence of God.

I have also experienced grace in real and concrete ways. Usually by compassionate actions of others towards me, in my less than perfect moments. When I reflect back I can see those moments through the people, places and experiences of my past.

Sacramental moments I suppose you'd call them. Outward and visible signs of inward and spiritual graces is the definition of a sacrament. Episcopalians have two primary ones baptism and Eucharist, and acknowledge five others: confirmation, ordination, holy matrimony, reconciliation of a penitent and unction. The Catechism says that although they are means of grace, they are not necessary for all persons in the same way that Baptism and Eucharist are.

Towards the end of this second part this question is asked: "Is God's activity limited to these rites?" The answer: "God does not limit himself to these rites; they are patterns of countless ways by which God uses material things to reach out to us."

How is God reaching out to you today? Will you be able to have a "sacramental" moment, and know it for what it is?

While I enjoy and love the obvious ones. It is perhaps those not so clearly defined ones that keep me hopeful and willing to risk.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment