Sunday, April 11, 2010

Reflections for 4/11/10

"When you no longer expect something more from life, you are for all practical purposes and atheist. When you are no longer open to do something new, to see and feel in new ways about old things, you might as well hang it up." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 155)

When I first read this, I thought that's wrong. As a Christian am I not supposed to be satisfied with what I have? Content if you will? Then I thought some more and realized that while I try to be content with what I have and the current circumstances of my life, I do spend time thinking and dreaming of something more or different in various parts of life. That because I believe in a living God, one who unveils new aspects of me and new ways of seeing and feeling about things that I have reason to keep going.

The key is to be open to new ways of being or seeing old things. It doesn't guarantee that they will happen, or that you will change, but that should change come you will be ready for it.

Each day is a new one. Parts of it will seem like the same old same old, but one spiritual discipline might be to start by asking to be open to something different, and then at the end of the day to see what was.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment