Friday, April 9, 2010

Reflections for 4/9/2010

"Eucharist is the gift that makes us a sacred and universal people." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 153)

One of the most important aspects of my spiritual journey has been weekly Eucharist. Receiving communion in my church has been a part of my weekly ritual for as long as I can remember. I grew up in a church where communion was the central action of the worship. There were and maybe still are Episcopal churches that have Morning Prayer as their principle Sunday worship, but that has not been my experience.

Even while away at college, going to church and receiving communion was essential to any semblance of balance that I had. For me to not receive communion during the week makes about as much sense as not bathing.

Now I will admit that I had not thought of the more global picture of communion. That what I was doing was happening at countless churches around the globe. And was even happening in churches other than my beloved Episcopal church.

The image of that fellowship I think is very important. If we can break bread together, then we should it would seem to me be able to work through many if not all of our disagreements. The bible even tells us not to do so when we are at enmity with someone else. Unfortunately it is often seen as don't do so with that person or group, not don't do it at all.

But it is that sharing and same action globally that should be a sign of what is possible, a reminder that it isn't just about me. And that unity shared among Christians and our shared humanity is shown for its potential through the sacrament of Eucharist.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment