Saturday, April 24, 2010

Reflections for 4/24/10

"Optimism is our gift and our greatest sin."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p.166)

I tend to be an optimistic person. It helps me remain non-anxious in most situations. And helps me to see the good in people and the potentially positive experiences that life has to offer.

I hope that my disposition is generally a gift to others. I certainly have experienced optimism as a gift from God. My starting point really is Genesis 1 "And God saw that it was good."

Of course there are times when a more sober realism also needs to be used and perhaps that is where optimism can be a great sin. When it blinds you to the realities of evil in the world, of the injustices and despair that seem to be around us. Optimism is also sinful when the best it brings out in you is "don't worry be happy." One needs to not only be optimistic but have that optimism lead to action.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment