Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Reflections for 4/7/10

"We cannot see love itself, but we can see what happens to those who have been loved." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 151)

Certainly I know that being loved makes my life worth living. I feel loved by my family. I feel beloved by my parish, and it is that love that makes me want to do for others. What keeps me smiling most days. Which gives me patience to deal with just about everyone and everything that comes up, though even I have my limits.

I can't see the emotion of love, but I know a love in action when I see it. I also know hatred when I see it, and I know the direct results of being hated. I can see the damage done to those for whom the hatred is aimed, but also on those who are motivated to action by hatred. And it is generally true that currently manifested hatred is just another series in a long line of continuous hatred within that person or groups life.

What is truly tragic for me is to come across those who claim to love Jesus and call themselves beloved of God, but cannot bring themselves to extend that love to others. Words of hate spewing forth from the hearts, minds and mouths of those who claim the faith of Jesus, seems to me to tell a very different story.

That is for me a great challenge of faith, to actually live into the love you claim.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment