Friday, April 23, 2010

Reflections for 4/23/10

"The unfortunate thing is that so many people who think they are traditionalists have only a sense of tradition with a little t. Most conservatives and restorationists are more committed to their childhood myths than to the Great Tradition. The Great Tradition forces all of us to move beyond our private comfort zone, both liberals and conservatives."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 165)

I will have to admit that in some ways I am a bit of the small t, traditionalist. There are things within the realm of religion and life, that I feel comfortable in and doing. There are times that I branch out, try something that is new to me, nothing illegal or immoral mind you, but a bit of stretch for a play it safe type like me.

Those times that I have chosen to risk, to leave my comfort zone, I am often surprised by how positive the experience can be. While I do not always fully embrace and make my own these new experiences, I know that I am better off for having tried, it at least gives me a point of comparison, by which to understand why I like what I like.

I also find it funny that even when we do embrace something new how quickly we choose to entomb it in our new "small t," saying nothing else has value, and we've finally found the one and only way to do something, and then defend it to the death.

A living tradition we are told is one that embraces and appreciates what is new and what is old, and finds the proper balance between them so that our lives and our relationships are truly honored and glorified.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment