Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reflections for 7/1/10

"Don't tell people to come to our church or to come to hear Father preach. Ask them to come over for supper. That's more real and natural. Talk to them over the back fence. We hope our life is good news. When our neighbors see our unity and our good news, maybe then they'll say, I'd like to come celebrate and worship with you." (R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 236)

This reminded me of my college days. I do not believe I ever once invited someone to come with me to church. I did have people ask if they could come with me.

It wasn't until later that I fully understood the difference. Whatever it was that people saw as positive in me, and I don't recall what it may have been, I believe they may have considered what I did that was different than what they did. And for some, going to church seemed to be it.

Today I still believe that the best evangelizing is how we lead our lives. When I see Christians taking action to make the world a better place. Who spend more time talking about what makes them happy as compared to what's wrong with the world, I feel a natural attraction to them. I'd like to know more.

When we see someone who looks like they've turned things around, for example, lost weight, we often would like to know what they did. How often does someone ask a person who is still healthy and active in their late 80's or 90's what the "secret" is, only to find it's more about attitude than some product.

Do I want people to invite folks to come to church, sure. But I'd really love to see people come to church because they see folks who live life fully because they've found something worth having in their lives.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment