Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reflections for 7/5/10

"We have today a lot of roving evangelists and prophets who are in no way accountable. They're not being sent from any spot. The private self decides everything. No community sends them, they just 'go.' But an apostle is always sent. Apostles are free to go because they are not their own center, the gospel is."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 240)

One of the blessings/curses of being part of a denomination is the fact that I am accountable. I have to answer to the Bishop should I mess something up. There are limits to what I can say on behalf of the church. I have a certain amount of freedom, but I do need to remember the difference between "IMHO" and the truth.

In our world we have a similar problem with secular "apostles and prophets." They can spout off whatever they want, and hide behind "freedom of speech." Or claim to be victims when challenged.

When I hear or read something I want to know who is supporting them. What are the lenses they're viewing the world through.

It then becomes my responsibility to decide who is a true apostle, and one who marches to their own orders.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment