Thursday, July 15, 2010

Reflections for 7/15/10

"Obedience means listening. Don't be afraid to be silent and alone, to guard the quality of your speech, to write a spiritual journal. Watch your judgments and your cynicisms. Keep a childlike, simple heart. The wonder of children is they see new things and beautiful things and take them in. The Lord wants you to take as much in as you can, but to take it in a way that it's going to be there a year from now, not just for the moment."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 249)

There are many experiences in my lifetime that have left a lasting impression. Certainly not every moment, but a lot of things. I'm sometimes surprised by what I remember. I don't know that I'm deeper than anyone else, but I do remember people and places and events. I'm not so good with exact dates.

Perhaps I'm not as into quick thrills as I am larger experiences. I love that I've seen so much of this country. There are certainly teachers throughout my life that I still remember their names, and yet there are some who left little to no impression on me.

I'm sure I haven't even come close to experiencing everything that God has in store for me. I hopefully haven't missed too much that was intended for me, but was to distracted to notice.

I find it enjoyable to reflect on the people, places and things in my past. I also love the anticipation that each new day has the potential to show me something I've never seen before.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment