Sunday, July 11, 2010

Reflections for 7/11/10

"And I think that's the purpose of all of our prayer: not to prove ourselves to God or bend the arm of God but, quite simply, to be able to listen anew. The only way we can listen to the truth is to get ourselves out of the way our feelings, needs, compulsions, responses and everything else. God needs nothing, God asks and demands nothing. We pray only so that we may know God."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace p.245)

Back in November I led a workshop on spiritual practices. We walked a labyrinth, we did centering prayer, we made "Anglican Prayer Beads" and then used them. We did some lectio divina. All good.

What I began to realize about all of them, was the shared part of getting ourselves out of the way. This was not praying a long list of the things I wanted God to do, or the people I wanted God to do something for. It was just way of emptying the mind of its own clutter to begin to listen more attentively to what God wanted me to hear.

While I'm not saying that we shouldn't pray for others and ourselves, that part is not for God. God is already well aware of the situation. I've always seen it as a way to remind ourselves of what's going on within ourselves and with our neighbors.

God doesn't need anything Fr. Rohr wrote. Perhaps, but I believe God wants us, wouldn't be a jealous God otherwise. God may not demand, but I do believe there are expectations of the children of God. We do pray that we may know God and hear that still small voice. Fortunately God already knows us.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment