Thursday, July 29, 2010

Reflections for 7/29/10

"I hope you have met a man who has become one of those mellow seventy-year-olds. I've met a few, not enough really. It's a shame we expect people in their seventies to be crotchety and set in their ways; it should be just the opposite. When you have met him, you know you have met a great person. He's the real image of the grandfather or wise man, who can sit on the edge of the family and offer it security and caution. He doesn't stifle others with closedness and rigidity, dogmatic political opinions, or an Archie Bunker worldview. Rather, he offers a worldview in which we feel both safe and adventurous."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 263)

I've been lucky to have actually met some people like that. One's who defy the stereotype, and whose company I enjoy. Their stories are worth hearing, their advice worth heeding. I of course have met the other kind as well. Being somewhat tolerant, I can even give those folks the time of day.

While I have 25 more years before I turn 70, I hope I'll be the type of seventy year old who people want to be around, not just tolerate. I suppose one way to put the odds in my favor, would be to remain open and flexible. While having opinions not being dogmatic and arrogant.
I hope to continue to be surprised by all that life has to offer and to find joy in those surprises.

While there are things about the future I cannot control. How I choose to live my life and interact with other people, I have complete control over.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment