Monday, July 12, 2010

Reflections for 7/11/10

"As long as we think happiness is around the corner, we have not grasped happiness. Happiness is given in this moment. Everything is right here, right now, the total mystery of Christ; totally hidden and yet perfectly revealed. Though pilgrimages are good for the spirit, if you can't find Jesus in your hometown, you probably aren't going to find him in Jerusalem. If you haven't already entered into a relationship with Mary before, you probably won't find her at Lourdes. E go on pilgrimage so we can go back home and know that we never need to go on pilgrimage again. Pilgrimage has achieved its purpose when we can see God in our everyday and ordinary lives."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace p. 246)

I've never been on an actual pilgrimage. I suppose there will come a time when I will. I do like to travel and enjoyed my vacation very much. The best part though was still coming home. Yesterday being back at my parish felt good and right. Time away gave me a great appreciation for what I have here.

One of the traps I set for myself is to dream the what if dream. Is there something better out there. It's a little like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, thinking about somewhere over the rainbow, and in the end clicking her heels together saying "there's no place like home."

I am sure that there are moments when we truly perceive the presence of God more powerfully than in the day to day. The key for me is to continually sense the presence of God, in the mundane and ordinary day to day stuff. And while there's nothing wrong with an occasional day dream, it's even more satisfying to fully enjoy the here and now.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment