Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reflections for 7/22/10

"It's a gift to joyfully recognize and accept our own smallness. That's my best definition of Christian maturity. It's very hard for an affluent culture to accept a limited world, and that's why Jesus said the rich person cannot easily enter into the Kingdom of God."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 256)

There is no limit to what we can achieve seems to be a mantra I hear often. It's the power of positive thinking. It is the vision of our nation really.

While I don't wish to be a wet blanket, I know that for myself, I'm beginning to acknowledge my own limitations, or at least to understand what keeps me from fulfilling the Army motto of being all I can be.

Perhaps it comes down to seeking what I really want to be. To understand fully where my breaking points are, where the actual boundaries exist. To see that "smallness" not as a curse or a hurdle to overcome, but a reality that I have been given only what I can actually handle to be in charge of. That I will have what I need to live in this world, and that I really don't have to fulfill every want.

To proclaim the "smallness" is not to be used as a put down of others or myself. But rather an acknowledgement of my real equality with everyone else.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment