Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reflections for 7/3/10

"Unfortunately we in the Church are trying to teach a morality apart from the experience of the risen Jesus freeing his people. Yet the most compelling moral responses come from the ambiguities of real life-not from textbook answers that are prefabricated and so-called pure."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 238)

I tend to live in ambiguity. I find it very hard to work with either or choices. Often the world seems to offer many one size fits all options, and attempts to make them work. Usually with disastrous results.

It has been my experience that life is not so neat to have these cure-alls actually work. That is not to say that there shouldn't be some framework within which to work out our moral questions and our responses to the ups and downs of life.

For me that is in my relationship with God through Christ. The experiences of the risen life. It is not in a recitation of out of context bible verses. Not in the thou shalt nots of the latest preachers and teachers, but in the shared living and working with my fellow human beings, working it out in the context of my faith.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment